In the heat of summer, nothing feels better than unwinding in your cool, air-conditioned home. But at this time of year, indoor air pollution can be higher than outdoor air pollution, making it far from a healthy environment. To help your family breathe a little easier this summer, here are six ways to manage the quality of your indoor air.
1. Schedule duct cleaning. A significant source of contamination could be your duct system. The amount of dust, debris, pollen, pet dander and fungi that can be found in many duct systems is as much as four inches. To ensure that you and your family can again breathe clean air, schedule duct cleaning.
2. Add some potted plants. Natural air filters like plants improve the quality of the air within your home by removing excess toxins and converting them to clean oxygen. Ferns, aloe and spider plants are common houseplants and add a touch of nature within.
3. Clean your air filter. An air filter collects dirt and other airborne contaminants flowing through your HVAC system, preventing you from breathing them in. Your AC system will find it challenging to function properly if the filter becomes clogged. Filters should be cleaned or changed every three months or sometimes more, depending on your HVAC usage.
4. Maintain healthy humidity levels. Moisture-loving allergens like mold and dust mites can be controlled by keeping humidity levels between 30 and 50 percent. One simple way to do this is to invest in a whole-house dehumidifier. With the help of this HVAC add-on, you can adjust the humidity levels in any room of your house.
5. Install an air purifier or ionizer. To improve the quality of the air inside your home, air purifiers can be added to your current system. They are incredibly effective at eliminating mold, dust and pet dander, and killing viruses and germs.
Climate Systems Heating and Cooling offers a wide range of indoor air quality solutions to help your family breathe clean air. These include iWave air purifiers, which are installed in AC systems to clean the air in living spaces, and Carrier® Infinity air purifiers, which feature Captures and Kills® Technology to inactivate 99% of select airborne pathogens. Give us a call at (724) 935-3900 to learn more about our indoor air quality product offerings. You may also fill out our contact form to request a service appointment.